- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided (I use walnuts )
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in 1/2 cup pecans.
- Transfer to two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, whisk the glaze ingredients; drizzle over loaves. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 235 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 157 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Lightened-Up Special Banana Bread published in Simple & Delicious January/February 2010, p46