Sunday, November 22, 2009

San Francisco

I was lucky to score a spouses invite to Big Daddy's company meeting in San Francisco again this year. Her Royal Highness ( Mom) was gracious enough to come and tend the kids, mostly manage Drama, while I was away. I flew to San Fran, took the Bart to the city, then a trolley to the hotel we stayed at, The Fairmont.
That night we got to see Wicked, the musical. It was fantastic. We saw it in L.A. about 3 1/2 years ago. This time we knew all of the song to sing along and had much better seats. Big Daddy said we were so close we could see the actor's blemishes.
Kendra Kassebaum beautifully played Glinda. She was no Kristen Chenowith, but lovely in her own interpretation of the role.
The next day I got to shop all by myself, yeah! I walked around Market street with money burning a whole in my pocket. Nordstrom..nothing. Anthropology...nothing...Macy's, Gap, H & M..nothing. Sweet Pea was having a heart attack at home. She couldn't believe I didn't buy anything at H & M. I decide those aren't "my people" meaning, not my style.
I tried to use all of the available transportation the city has to offer. So I took a bus across town to the King Tut exhibit at the de Young Museum at the Golden Gate Park.
It was very interesting, although I was very tired. I think I fell asleep in one of the exhibit rooms for a few minutes. I remember Popsicle taking me to see part of this exhibit in the 70's. So much more technology now, the experts have figured out relationships through DNA. How about that, Family History.

After lunch, and some more museum and art exhibits, I headed back to Market street to make a purchase. I bought a terrific pair of Merrell shoes. I have been eyeing these shoes for months on the internet, and I bought them. Those of you who know my foot/shoe frustrations, you can appreciate the fact that I have to try on shoes before purchase. They are not the most attractive, but DANG, they are comfortable.

Big Daddy and I spent the evening together at the company dinner. I was beautiful. It was at the top of the Fairmont Hotel with a spectacular view of the city at sunset.

Big Daddy participated, rather willingly, in a group dance of "Single Ladies". Whoooaaaa! You should see him shake is can! Baby!! I've got to track down that video and post it soon.
Friday, our last day in the City, we went to Ghirardelli Square by trolley.
It was Big Daddy's first ride.
He has been in SF a few times, but always takes taxis. Boo! Taxis are for whimps...
or when you have a lot of luggage.

We met a friend for lunch and then walked around Ghirardelli Sqaure,

along the bay to the Green Marina. It was the perfect day... sunny but not hot. I think we walked about 3 miles, all in my brand, new shoes.

After a cupcake, we waited at the Hyde/Powell turntable to take the cable car back to the hotel. There are a lot of.....hum..strange people in San Francisco. Two of them tied themselves with chains and locks to a post. When loose, one of them play "Stairway to Heaven" on his guitar. Oh, no, not the Stairway. Ugggh! These are not young artists, the were performing hobos. Badly, performing hobos.
I wanted to give them money to stop playing and go away.
Once back at the hotel, we picked up our luggage, took a death cab to the wharf. I was talking to Lazy Boy on the phone and told him the ride was like being in his video game Need for Speed. But, we made it just in time to take a ferry across the bay to a little town called Larkspur.
Larkspur is a little town in Marin County, actually right next to the San Quentin prison. No convicts were seen. We spent the evening at a delightful dining outdoors at an Asian fusion restaurant, listening to an 80"s band. It was a great end to a great day. Oh, and I forgot, ice cream. That was pretty great too!

The next day, reality set in, we took a shuttle back to San Fran airport, flew home to be with our kiddos. Don't tell them, but I missed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment